- Statutory Tax Rate30
- Surtax Based on Taxable Income0
- Surtax Based on Statutory Tax0
- Surtax Deductible from Taxable Income0
- Statutory Tax Deductable0
- Effective Tax Rate30
Statutory Tax Rate
The standard corporate income tax rate for resident companies is 30%.
However, a number of other rates apply as follows:
- 35% for branches of foreign companies in Malawi;
- 33% for cellular phone operators;
- 0% for companies in priority industries including agricultural produce processing and power generation and distribution companies for a period not exceeding 10 years, and 15% thereafter;
- 30% for income from life insurance business;
- 30% for companies in export processing zones; and
- Commercial banks are subject to an additional tax at the rate of 10% on taxable income above MWK 10 billion (effective 5 April 2023).
For a mining company, an additional resource rent tax at the rate of 15% is levied on the after-tax profits if the company's rate of return exceeds 20%.