The tax year in Uruguay is the commercial year of the taxpayer.
Annual tax returns must be filed within 4 months following the close of the previous tax year. Non-residents with holdings of shares or investments in Uruguayan entities are required to file a holder’s information return within 30 days of changes in their holdings with the Uruguayan Central Bank when either of the following conditions are met:
- The non-resident operates in Uruguayan territory through a permanent establishment; or
- The non-resident has their effective headquarters (management and control) in Uruguay in order to develop business activities in Uruguay or abroad.
The requirement also applies when a non-resident has investments in a foreign investment fund administered by Uruguayan residents.
Companies in Uruguay are required to make monthly advance tax payments. Each monthly payment is based on either the previous year's tax liability or by applying the ratio of the previous year's tax liability and the previous year's gross income to the current monthly gross income.
For the year 2022, the minimum monthly advance tax payment scale based on the gross revenue in the previous year considering a reference amount of 305,000 indexed units (Unidad Indexada, multiple of pesos adjusted for inflation) is as follows:
- For gross revenue up to 3 times the reference amount - UYU 6,180;
- For gross revenue over 3 times up to 6 times the reference amount - UYU 6,760;
- For gross revenue over 6 times up to 12 times the reference amount - UYU 9,080;
- For gross revenue over 12 times up to 24 times the reference amount - UYU 12,300; and
- For gross revenue over 24 times the reference amount - UYU 15,380.
For the taxpayers under the small business tax regime, the monthly advance tax payment for the year 2022 is UYU 4,720.
The final payment of any balance due is made with the tax return.
Effective 1 January 2016, tax payments are required to be made electronically using debit/credit cards, electronic funds transfers, and other electronic means, or through credit certificates issued by the tax administration or non-transferable checks.
* Note that the value of indexed units used in determining the payment schedule is the value at the end of the relevant tax year. As on 31 December 2021, 1 indexed unit (UI) = UYU 5.1608.
E-filing is available.