(1) This Agreement shall apply lo taxes on income imposed on behalf of a Contracting State or of its political subdivisions or local authorities, irrespective of the manner in which they are levied.
(2) There shall be regarded as taxes on income all taxes imposed on total income, or on elements of income, including taxes on gains from the alienation of movable or immovable property, taxes on the total amounts of wages or salaries paid by enterprises, as well as taxes on capital appreciation.
(3) The existing taxes to which the Agreement shall apply are in particular:
- (a) in Turkey:
- (i) the income tax; and
- (ii) the corporate tax;
- (hereinafter referred to as "Turkish tax");
- (b) in Nigeria:
- (i) the Personal Income Tax;
- (ii) the Companies Income Tax;
- (iii) the Petroleum Profits Tax;
- (iv) the Capital Gains Tax;
- (v) the Tertiary Education Tax; and
- (vi) the National Information Technology Development Levy;
- (hereinafter referred to as "Nigerian tax").
(4) The Agreement shall apply also to any identical or substantially similar taxes that are imposed after the date of signature of the Agreement in addition to, or in place of, the existing taxes. The competent authorities of the Contracting States shall notify each other of significant changes that have been made in their respective taxation laws.