Income earned by non-residents from sources in Kiribati is subject to tax in the country. The following types of income are considered to be derived/sourced from Kiribati:
- income derived from a business activity in Kiribati;
- income derived from the performance of services or employment in Kiribati;
- rental income from real property, including land, located in Kiribati and gains from the sale of such property;
- income derived from the sale or licensing of industrial or intellectual property used in Kiribati;
- income from the sale of intangible property used in Kiribati, other than property used in business or property referred above;
- interest earned in Kiribati subject to certain conditions;
- dividends or management fee received from a resident company in Kiribati;
- payment towards natural resources taken from Kiribati. This includes payment for minerals or any living or non-living resource of the land, sea or seabed.
Taxes are collected through withholding tax which is deemed to be the final tax on such income.